Capacity Building for MAURITAS and national CA bodies in Mauritius
Posted on: July 29, 2014
The TBT Programme has launched in May this year a new capacity building project in Mauritius to strengthening the Mauritius Accreditation Service (MAURITAS) and the national conformity assessment bodies in the country.
The project has two main objectives: 1) the provision of assistance to the Mauritius Accreditation Service (MAURITAS) and 2) the provision of training and consultancy to laboratories, inspection bodies and certification bodies so that they can become accredited by MAURITAS in the near future.
Many of these objectives have been achieved since the start of the project and some of the highlights are:
- Gaps have been identified and recommendations made to the Mauritius Government for amendment of their accreditation legislation in order to allow MAURITAS to operated in an independent and impartial manner in line with the requirements of ISO/IEC 17011;
- Approximately 60 candidates assessors for both medical and general testing and calibration laboratories have been trained by undergoing intensive one-week training courses;
- Approximately 25 medical and general testing laboratories have undergone training and direct consultancy to assist them to become accredited against either ISO 15189 or ISO/IEC 17025;
- Consultancy has been provided to one Certification Body and one Inspection Body for improvement in their quality systems for potential accreditation against ISO/IEC 17021 and ISO/IEC 17020 respectively.
Interventions that are still in the pipeline are:
- Provision of training to laboratory personnel on validation of test methods and measurement uncertainty;
- Training of MAURITAS assessors for assessment of Certification Bodies against the requirements of ISO/IEC 17021;
- Training of laboratory personnel on Internal Auditing;
- Final review of ISO/IEC 17011 requirements with MAURITAS management and staff; and
- Progress review of achievements by assessment of laboratories’ progress in implementing aspects of the relevant standards for accreditation purposes.
- VALIDATION AND MEASUREMENT UNCERTAINTY COURSE FOR MEDICAL LABORATORIES: A 5-day training workshop will be held 28 July – 1 August during which personnel from approximately 20 medical testing laboratories will be trained on statistical validation techniques for validating or verifying medical test methods and for establishing measurement uncertainty values for results.
- MAURITAS ASSESSOR TRAINING FOR CERTIFICATION BODY ASSESSORS: A 2-day training course will be held 4-5 August for training 17 MAURITAS assessors on assessment techniques used for assessing Certification Bodies against the requirements of ISO/IEC 17021.
- INTERNAL AUDIT COURSE FOR MEDICAL LABORATORIES: A 2-day training course will be held 6-8 August for training 20 medical laboratory personnel on internal auditing techniques.
- WORKSHOP ON MAURITAS MANAGEMENT SYSTEM: A 1-day internal workshop will be held on 8 August to review the MAURITAS management system’s compliance to the requirements of ISO/IEC 17011.
- EVALUATION OF PROGRESS AND IMPROVEMENTS IN LABORATORIES: A 15-day assessment of laboratories that received assistance and consultancy, through the project between May and July, will be conducted between 13 and 31 October. The objective will be to evaluate improvements made in implementing systems and using the techniques in which they were trained.